Monday, August 31, 2009

Debating Creationists: Kicking the Habit



I went to ERV where I learned about the Sedalia MO high school band t-shirt kerfuffle. The band teacher created a graphic to represent the evolution of brass intstruments from the 1960s to the present, using the olde timey image of monkey-hominids-humans in sequence.

Sadly, some parents and students felt the allusion to biological evolution -even if only as metaphor- was offensive. I suppose that's no suprise, given the thickness of anti-intellectualism in many small towns.

But this bit on the part of a school official surprised me:
While the shirts don’t directly violate the district’s dress code, Assistant Superintendent Brad Pollitt said complaints by parents made him take action.

"I made the decision to have the band members turn the shirts in after several concerned parents brought the shirts to my attention," Pollitt said.

Pollitt said the district is required by law to remain neutral where religion is concerned.


WTF? Evolution = religion?

Here I am, end of my less-than productive workday, considering the time I wasted reading the comments posted on the two articles at the Sedalia Democrat. My emotional reaction to the burning toopid has left me fatigued and disoriented.

I gotta stop getting suckered into these creationist debates.

Y'all must save the world without me. I'm beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment