Monday, December 14, 2009

YOU LIE!

Clues that an interviewee might be scuttling the truth.

Answering with a question
What do you mean? How should I know? How could I know? What makes you think I’d know? Why are you asking me that? Why do you need to know that? What kind of question is that?

Generalized answer to specific question
I’m not the kind of person who would do that. I’m not the kind of person who would ever try to do something like that. I’m not the kind of person who would think of doing that. I don’t do things of the nature. I don’t even think about doing things like that. I wouldn’t be able to do anything like that. I couldn’t do something like that.

Preserving dignity
I won’t dignify that question with an answer. What kind of question is that? I’ve got better things to do than answer questions like that. I don’t like that question. I don’t see why I have to answer that question. Why would I rob my own store? That’s ridiculous.

Nothing more
I guess that’s about it. That’s about all I know. That’s about the size of it. That’s about the gist of it, As far as I know, that’s about it. That’s pretty much what happened. There’s not much more to say. There’s not a lot more to say.

Difficult question
That’s a hard question. That’s a tough question. That’s a good question. That’s a good one. That’s a tough one. That’s a difficult question. That’s a hard one for me.

Tangential answer
"Did you steal my chocolate chip cookies?" I don’t even like cookies.
"Did you stab her?"  I don’t like knives.
"Did you kill her?" I loved her.

Could, should, would
I could deny that. I could say no. I would deny that. I would deny that assertion. I would deny that allegation. I should say not. I should say no. I could say...I would say...

Malaprops
My answers’ll tree the booth (free the truth). Just that I’m doing everything I can to prove myself guilty. There’s really not true much else I can think about. It’ll show I’m tellin’ not the truth. Should I talk around what we did last night, or what?

Failure to communicate
I couldn’t say. I can’t say. I can’t think of anything about that. I can’t tell you anything about that. I’m not able to tell you anything. I’m not able to say. I can’t explain anything about that. I couldn’t tell you that. I can say this. I can only tell you this. I can’t really tell you that.

Brain injury
Not that I remember. I don’t remember. I don’t remember anything like that. I’m just going off on what I can remember. I guess not.  All that I can remember is. I don’t recall. I can’t seem to recall at this time. Not that I recall. Not to my knowledge. I don’t think so.

Found along the crazywebs.

No comments:

Post a Comment